The Maple Queen Bed

Some of you may recall the Maple Queen Bed project I was building for my daughter Hannah last spring/summer? I completed it in July or so, but it has since been stored, covered and in pieces, until such time as Sweets made her decisions on what she wanted to do with her bedroom and where to put the bed. Well, that day has arrived, and her bed is now assembled, placed in her new bedroom, and in service! We are so very glad... :)

20200126_202353
20200126_202353
20200126_202353
20200126_202353
20200126_202353

Resized-144024 copy
Resized-144024 copy
Resized-144024 copy
Resized-144024 copy
Resized-144024 copy
Resized-144024 copy


Moving

While helping my daughter Hannah move into her new room, I had to move and re-install a couple of older pieces I had for her some time back...

20200121_194253
20200121_194253
20200121_194253
20200121_194253


Getting it Right

After looking at the glued up table top closely and checking with a straight edge, I decided I was not quite satisfied with some of the joints or the overall flatness of the top. So, after some prayer and some deep breaths, I cut the top back apart  (carefully!) along two of the seams.

20200121_195943
20200121_195943

I brought the all the partial slabs to an "industrial grade" wood shop near downtown Staunton so they could use their monster-sized wide belt sander to get them nice and flat. While there, they decided out of their kindness to also finesse some of the edges and re-glue them back using their monster-sized jointer and glue-up rack, for free.  Thanks!

20200128_073658
20200128_073658
20200128_073658

Then I hauled the top back home and added a strip along one edge to give it a more symmetrical appearance. And voila, it's ready to start the breadboard installation.  Yay!

20200129_161337
20200129_161337
20200129_161337


Table Top Continued

Time to take the two half-tops and get them glued into one big monster top....

First had to do some edge-jointing with a handplane on the adjoining edges to get them so they will clamp up flush. My Veritas low-angle jackplane did a fine job and is a real blessing...

20200118_143202
20200118_143202
20200118_143202
20200118_143202

Then it was time to cut some mortises in the adjoining edges to accommodate the Domino loose tenons that help with alignment...

20200118_165859
20200118_165859
20200118_165859

Then it was time to do a glue-up-clamp-up into one big table top...
20200118_165859

Next: Breadboard ends!

 


Gluing Up the Table Top

So, I've decided to split the dining table top glue-up into two parts because of the size and weight. Here's the first part all glued and clamped up.  I used biscuits and clamping cauls to help with alignment of the boards...

 

20191220_191155

Here they are after glue has dried and joint lines scraped and sanded...

20191222_075107

 

And here are the other top boards getting ready for glue-up...


20191222_075107

 


Laying out the Top Boards

Once I got the top boards and breadboards milled to final thickness and width, it was time to experiment with how to lay them all out. Need to take into account pleasing grain patterns, getting the edge grain directions alternated, etc.. Here's how it came out - look OK?  :)

 

 

20191213_142806


Dining Table - Milling the Top Pieces

With a project this large, there is a lot of work involved in just getting the pieces milled to size. Here are the results after doing the jointing, planing, and rip-cutting to final thickness and width on the pieces for the top...

 

20191204_155306
20191204_155306
20191204_155306

 

20191211_161032
20191211_161032

 


Getting Ready to Start on a Dining Table

I will soon be starting on a farmhouse table with breadboard ends for a family at church. We traveled up to Culpeper to procure all the white oak I will need (lot of 8/4 for the top). Had to cut to rough length out in the driveway before bringing it into the shop...

20191121_115813
20191121_115813
20191121_115813
20191121_115813


The New Shaker End Table -- Completed!

Drawer being glued and clamped in a nice, warm environment... :)

20191110_162225

 

Notching the lower drawer guides with a legacy bandsaw I recently got from my brother-in-law, previously owned by my Dad...
20191110_162225

 

Gluing in the side guide strips...
20191110_162225

 

Gluing up the top...
20191110_162225

Got the bevel on the underside done, scraped all the burn marks clean...

20191118_112235

 

Gluing in the upper drawer glides after drilling through elongated holes for screws to mount the top, allowing for wood movement...
20191118_112235

Drawer fits nicely...

20191118_112235

 

Putting some finish on the inside parts and the drawer (customer will be finishing all the outside)...
20191118_112235

Done!

20191122_140956
20191122_140956
20191122_140956


Holly Jolly Christmas Market

Last Saturday, Hannah and I set up at the Holly Jolly Christmas Market show in downtown Staunton. Because of the colder weather the show was moved indoors (for which we were grateful :) ).  Thanks to all the friendly folks who came out to see us!

20191116_094418
20191116_094418
20191116_094418