My wife did a nice cross-stitch many years ago, but hadn't yet framed it. Time to resolve that by making her a new frame for Mothers Day! :)
To prepare for this build, I first made a miter sled that helped me cut perfect (enough) 45 degree miters on the frame pieces. Thanks to William Ng for the design and procedure for this sled.
After milling the four frame pieces and cutting them to a little over-length, I used the table saw with a flat tooth grind on the blade to cut rabbets on the back side edges. Then I routed an ogee molding profile on the front inside edges. Then I used the miter sled to cut the frame pieces to exact length and cut the miters on the ends.
After gluing up the frame, I cut and glued in splines across each corner joint to reinforce them.
Then I applied some Early American stain, followed by some water based poly finish, and it was all done, just in time for Mothers Day!